Important Communication from GMB Scotland – COVID Risk Registers
GMB Scotland has set up a Workplace Risk Register so that workplace representatives and officers can record where things have gone wrong with employer’s responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We will be putting on record how GMB has approached employers to improve the safety of their workforce and what responses employers made.
The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 says managers must:
· Do everything they reasonably can to protect you at work
· Risk assess every job you do
· Work out what the risks are to you and put in as effective protection as they can
Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 says:
· You cannot be sacked for speaking out about the risk to you
· Your opinion of the risk to you matters
· You can step away from a job that puts you at “serious and imminent danger”
GMB Scotland is clear that your employer must:
· Properly protect you at work
· Not ask you to take on a job in a high risk area without Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
· Carry out risk assessments on you/your workplace
· Ensure you are not exposed to high risk if you are in the vulnerable category
· Provide the right PPE for the job you are doing
· Provide hand washing facilities – soap and sanitiser – and time to wash hands more often
· Provide information and updates on any risk as it occurs
· Speak to you about risk
· Cut out the risk/lower the risks to you
· Engage promptly with your GMB Branch Secretary on issues
If you are a GMB rep in your workplace you need to speak with your employer regarding risk assessments that are being carried out in your particular sector/workplace.
If you are still having issues around your employer’s failure to consult with you as a GMB rep,
our advice is to raise this issue via your internal grievance procedures and inform your local authority officer with responsibility.
Don’t forget to complete GMB Workplace COVID risk register. This can be accessed via the link:
This enables GMB to have a log of those employers who have not acted in line with Health and Safety legislation.
There will be no hiding place for employers who have failed to adequately address the safety concerns of employees and their union.
Remember, your union is here for you and we will do our best for you.
If you have colleagues who are fellow GMB members and are not receiving updates, they can update their preferences here: www.gmb.org.uk/mygmb
If you know a colleague who is not a member of GMB and wants to join, they can do so online at www.gmb.org.uk/join
GMB Scotland Secretary
Posted: 6th December 2020